If you're planning a visit to Cowes, you'll find that there are plenty of things to see and do in the surrounding area. Here are just a few ideas to help you make the most of your trip.
Please let us know if you have any feedback or suggestions!
- Visit Osborne House — Located at East Cowes, just across the Solent from the mainland, Osborne House was the former home of Queen Victoria and Prince Albert. Built in the Italianate style, the house and its gardens are a remarkable example of 19th century design and architecture.
- Go to the Beach — With its sandy beaches and shallow waters, Cowes is a great destination for swimming, fishing, and other water activities. There are plenty of lifeguard-supervised beaches, as well as plenty of opportunities for sunbathing, windsurfing, and sailing.
- Sample the Local Cuisine — Cowes is home to a wide range of restaurants and pubs, offering everything from traditional British food to more exotic dishes from around the world. Sample some of the local seafood, such as crab, mussels, and oysters, or enjoy a pint of real ale at one of the many pubs.
- Check Out the Local Shopping — Cowes has a wide range of shops, from independent boutiques to large department stores. There are also plenty of markets and festivals throughout the year, offering a great selection of food, crafts, and souvenirs.
- Take a Cruise — One of the best ways to explore the area is to take a boat trip or cruise. There are a number of operators offering sailing trips, as well as pleasure cruises and fishing trips.
- Visit the Isle of Wight Zoo — Located near Cowes, the Isle of Wight Zoo is home to a variety of animals, including lions, tigers, bears, and primates. It also has a butterfly house and a petting zoo, making it a great day out for the whole family.
- Take a Stroll Through the Countryside — The Isle of Wight is home to some stunning countryside and coastal views. Take a walk, cycle, or horse ride through the rolling hills, woodlands, and meadows, and take in the stunning scenery.
- Explore the Island's History — The Isle of Wight has a rich history, with a number of historic sites, castles, and monuments to explore. Visit Carisbrooke Castle, the Needles Battery, and the remains of the Roman Villa at Brighstone.
- Visit the National Motor Museum — Located in the nearby town of Beaulieu, the National Motor Museum is home to a large collection of cars, motorcycles, and other vehicles. It also has a variety of interactive exhibits and activities, making it a great day out for all ages.
- Cycle Around the Island — The Isle of Wight is a great place for cycling, with a network of cycle paths and trails. Explore the countryside and discover the hidden gems of the island by bike.
- Enjoy a Spot of Golf — Cowes is home to a number of golf courses, offering a range of courses for all levels. There are also plenty of clubs and equipment hire shops to make your golfing experience even better.
- Take a Trip to the Needles — The Needles are a trio of white chalk formations located off the coast of the Isle of Wight. Take a trip on the Needles Chairlift and admire the stunning views of the coastline and the chalk stacks.
- Spend a Day in Yarmouth — Located just a few miles from Cowes, Yarmouth is a bustling town with a variety of shops, restaurants, and bars. It also has a number of historic attractions, including the Georgian House and the Old Fort.
- Go Horse Riding — The Isle of Wight has plenty of places to go horse riding, with a range of riding schools and stables. Take in the stunning views of the countryside from the back of a horse, or explore the network of bridleways.
- Visit the Maritime Museum — The Isle of Wight Maritime Museum is home to a range of exhibits, including artefacts from the many shipwrecks that have occurred around the island. It also has a variety of interactive displays, making it an interesting day out.
There are many things to see and do near Cowes. Whether you're interested in history, nature, or outdoor activities, you'll find plenty of ways to enjoy your time in the area!